The Water Conservation Ordinance, which applies to any person who uses water from the El Paso Water Utilities supply system, contains mandatory year-round restrictions on certain water use activities and prohibits water waste.
Landscape Watering Days:
- There is no residential watering on Mondays; however, customers of El Paso Water Utilities can water their landscapes three days a week, year-round as follows:
- EVEN numbered addresses are allowed to water Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays.
- ODD numbered addresses are allowed to water Wednesdays, Fridays, or Sundays.
- Schools, parks, cemeteries, golf courses and industrial sites are allowed to water Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays.
- Times Restrictions: From April 1 through September 30, outdoor watering is only permitted before 10:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m. on designated EVEN or ODD days.
If a customer desires a change in irrigation days and hours, it is the customer's responsibility to apply for a variance and demonstrate hardship By contacting the Water Conservation Department at (915) 594-5508. A Review Board can modify established schedules or approve requests for variances. Variances are based on the Review Board's recommendations and are usually granted to customers that, because of age or health, depend on someone else to do yard work, or for those out-dated irrigation systems that can't irrigate within the allotted time. All variances are discontinued during water emergencies and drought Stages 2 and 3.
These permits allow the customer to water as needed; however, water is never to be allowed to run into the street. It is the customer's responsibility to call the Water Conservation Department at (915) 594-5508 to request permits.
- Landscape Watering Permits are granted for a 30-day period for establishment of new lawns.
- One-day permits are granted for the application of either chemicals or fertilizer.
Landscape permits and chemical permits will be limited when drought restrictions are in effect.
Residential Car washing is only allowed if a bucket and/or a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shut-off nozzle is used. During a water emergency or during Stage 3 drought restrictions, washing of vehicles will only be permitted at commercial establishments equipped with treatment and recycling systems and approved by the El Paso Water Utilities. Fundraising Car washing events can only be held at commercial car wash establishments.
The following uses of water are defined as “wasting water” and are prohibited:
- Landscape watering on the wrong day and/or wrong time
- Allowing water to flow into public right of way or storm water drainage system.
- Failure to repair a leak within five working days of the discovery of the same.
- Washing down impervious surfaces, except in emergencies to remove spills of hazardous materials or eliminate dangerous conditions.
Issuance of citations: Violations to this ordinance can result in a Class C misdemeanor citation. Fines can range from $50 to $500 per citation.